Friday 20 November 2009

You need to come for further tests!

"You need to come in for more further tests asap, i.e. tonight" These are words you never want to hear. I was at work last night when the call came. I had been for a routine blood test a week or so ago and had already been called back to the GP yesterday morning for a repeat full blood count (FBC).

So when I got the call from the GP, it meant to me that they had confirmed something was wrong with my blood. The GP told me to go as soon as I could to the A&E department of the hospital and ask for the haematology department where a Doctor was waiting for me. I couldn't understand the urgency of the request - just last week I had been running round London at 3am singing karaoke and feeling on top of the world!

When I got to A&E around 8pm that night, of course, they had never heard of me and started to put me through the standard A&E process of initial triaging (Them: "What's wrong with you?" Me: "Nothing that I know of, but you're expecting me" Them: "No we're not") then eventually being seen by a doctor. They repeated the blood tests again and found elevated white blood counts. Around 1am last night they also realised that I was meant to have been sent to a different hospital but the GP hadn't relayed that message.

So now I knew I had elevated white counts and that I had to go to Hillingdon hospital the next day. A quick google later and I was an armchair expert in all the various diseases and other causes of these symptoms. Not great reading!

So this morning, filled with denial-optimism that it was all a mistake, I went to Hillingdon hospital where they rapidly did a large array of blood tests and an urgent bone marrow biopsy / aspirate. The urgency once again unsettled me, but the nurses explained that they wanted to get the samples off to Kings in the afternoon and therefore needed to hit the 12:00 courier.

For those who are lucky enough not to know, a bone marrow biopsy involves inserting a needle directly into the bone and extracting a sample of the bone marrow and bone marrow fluid. It hurts. A lot. I'm not ashamed to say that when it was done I had a panic attack and started hyperventilating. The staff were remarkably good though at (a) getting it over with quickly and (b) calming me down so - THANK YOU!

After a recovery period, I met with the doctors - they didn't give anything away, but from my reading and the tests they performed, I suspect they thought it was AML - Acute Myeloid Leukemia... my next meeting is set for next Tuesday when the results of the biopsy will be ready.

(written retrospectively)

No comments:

Post a Comment